Download the alternative format
(Word format, 46 KB, 2 pages)
|Steps/Issues||What worked well?||What could work better next time?||Recommendations|
Initial stage of the outbreak
· Outbreak detection and surveillance systems (e.g., notification through NESP, PulseNet)
· Verifying the diagnosis through laboratory analysis (serotyping and PFGE); clinical information
· Case definitions (define and identify cases)
· Notification of partners (P/Ts, CDC, use of Public Health Alerts, senior management)
Outbreak Investigation Coordination Committee
· Were partners given enough notice for the initial assessment call?
· Decision-making and building consensus around activation of OICC?
· Were calls held frequently enough?
· Were the agenda and structure of the calls helpful?
· Were the calls well-managed?
· Were the appropriate participants on the call?
Describe and orient the data in person, place and time
· Were the epi summaries clear, helpful, and distributed in a timely manner?
· Was the line list easy to understand and complete?
· Is there a need for alternative methods of information sharing (e.g., web-based line list; databases)
· Develop hypotheses (interviews, interaction with local/provincial partners)
· Evaluate hypotheses (CDC collaboration, review of hypothesis generating interviews)
· Refine hypotheses and implement additional studies (analytic study methodology, preparation, questionnaire development, implementation and interviewing, analysis
Food safety investigation (traceback data, risk assessments, recalls, plant investigation, food/environmental sampling)
· Was the appropriate information shared?
· Was it clear? Timely?
· Were email updates acceptable and frequent enough?
· Communications between OICC and senior management
· Decision-making around public communications
Public Health Measures (what was done, implementation of control and prevention measures)
(declaring the outbreak over, deactivating the OICC, debrief, final report, Outbreak Summaries)
· Decision-making around declaring the outbreak over and deactivating the OICC
· How effective was this debrief session? Was it held in a timely manner following the outbreak?
· Was a final outbreak report prepared and distributed in a timely manner? Epi report format, distribution, translation etc.
· Has the outbreak been posted to Outbreak Summaries?