Download the alternative format
(Word format, 1 page, 17KB)
PUBLIC HEALTH ALERT
The Public Health Agency of Canada is collaborating with provincial health authorities, the Canadian Food Inspection Agency, and Health Canada to investigate a cluster of Salmonella Newport cases in ON, AB and BC.
- A national Outbreak Investigation Coordinating Committee (OICC) was established on May 25, 2020 to facilitate coordination and information exchange among investigative partners.
- There are currently nine cases under investigation in three provinces (ON=6, AB=1, BC=2) that are related by whole genome sequencing.
- Onset dates range from April 22, 2020 to May 1, 2020. The majority of cases (78%) are female, and the median age is 22 years (range: 17 to 57 years). No cases with available information have been hospitalized and no deaths have been reported.
- In collaboration with provincial partners, epidemiological information for the cases is currently being reviewed. Investigations are ongoing to determine the source of the outbreak.
Confirmed case: A resident of or visitor to Canada with
- Laboratory confirmation of Salmonella Newport AND
- Isolate matching PulseNet Canada cluster 2005NEWWGS-1ON-MP by whole genome sequencing* AND
- Symptom onset or laboratory confirmation on or after April 1, 2020
*Guidelines for whole genome sequencing interpretation are determined by the Public Health Agency of Canada’s National Microbiology Laboratory.
- Public health partners across Canada are asked to please report the following to your provincial/territorial representatives:
- Any increases in S. Newport in your jurisdiction
- Any local investigations of Newport
- Provincial/Territorial health representatives, in turn, are asked to notify the Outbreak Management Division (OMD) at email@example.com.